Intel driver problem with TV output

elupus elupus at ecce.se
Wed Dec 12 14:52:54 PST 2007

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 10:15:45 -0500, Richard Goedeken wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am setting up an HTPC using an AOpen MiniPC (GM965 chipset, X3100 accelerator) loaded with Fedora 8 and I'm having
> numerous problems with the video drivers.  The major problem is that I can't get the TV output working.  I have tried
> with both the current software in the Fedora 8 repository (xorg server 1.3.0.0-33.fc8 and xorg-drv-i810 2.1.1-7.fc8) and
> the latest in the Fedora 9 (rawhide) repository (xorg server 1.4.99.1-0.10.fc9 and xorg-drv-i810 2.2.0-1.fc9).  I have
> attached the config and log files from the Fedora 8 setup.
>
> As far as I can tell, everything in the log files look good.  Compiz is disabled.  I can even drag windows off the
> desktop to the right (where the TV screen should be) and can move them totally off the screen, but the TV display is
> always blank.  I've tried both the composite and component outputs.  I know the electrical path is good because the TV
> flashes when starting the X server (with the newer drivers).
>
> At one point when I was loading and bringing up the new drivers, I had booted in init level 3 (text only) and did a
> 'telinit 5' to bring up X, and I actually got a cursor on the TV.  But there was only the cursor on the TV (with a small
> Fedora blue dot animation) and the main CRT monitor was blank, so I couldn't log in.  I restarted the X server and then
> lost the cursor display on the TV.  I was unable to replicate this condition.
>
> Has anyone been successful getting TV output to work on this chipset/hardware?
>
> There are other major bugs that I've found as well.  Is there a Bugzilla server where I can log these?  In particular:
> 1. With the F9 (rawhide) drivers, the monitor goes into power-save mode when switching to a text VT.  Switching back to
> X gives a blank screen (monitor powers up though), and requires an X restart or reboot to bring the display back.
> 2. With the F8 drivers, switching to a text VT works fine, but sometimes when switching back to X the screen is blank.
> After switching back and forth several times the graphical display will appear correctly, without having to restart X.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

Hi,

I'm having the exact same issue on Ubuntu gutsy and hardy with the same
AOpen Mini PC. Hardy uses the 2.2.0 tag. Which should include those fixes.
Video comes on during boot on TV if nothing else is connected, but as soon
as the x drivers init, screen turns of.

According to log, everything seem to have gone allright, and X has been
started, but as said, there is no output on the SVIDEO/COMPOSITE or
COMPONENT outputs.

Some friends of mines have been able to get the exact same type of Mini PC
to display with ubuntu gutsy. I've tried with exact same drivers/xorg.conf
with not luck. One potential issue could be that this system have been
booted with windows on it, so maybe it has changes something in the display
driver.

I've supplied xorg.conf, log and xrandr outuput. Hopefully this could give
somebody an idea

The fix for ignoring the LVDS output on these mainboards doesn't seem to be
working either. It's still listed by xrandr if you don't ignore it in
xorg.conf