Major stability issues with xf86-video-intel 2.2.0 when using Xv

Daniel Kasak dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au
Wed Dec 12 15:13:33 PST 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 12:49 +0100, Sascha Hlusiak wrote:

> Am Mittwoch 12 Dezember 2007 12:01:55 schrieb Thomas Ilnseher:
> > I was using 2.2.0 on gentoo (GL960 Chipset), and noticed that teh 2D
> > performance under compiz-fusion REALLY sucked! (ie. pingus running with
> > 14fps, scrolling in FF feels slow). Reverted to 2.1.1 and everything
> > seems fine again.
> That's probably because of the default acceleration method moved from XAA to
> EXA. Try to move back to XAA (option "AccelMethod") and you should have
> performance as before.

Oh! If it were only that easy.

XAA is broken in 2.2.0. From memory, I get an instant lockup when
starting compiz with XAA. The word at the time was that XAA isn't really
going to get any further attention, and we should get used to EXA.
Unfortunately that means absolutely horrendous performance on my chip
( 845G ). I've set the "EXANoComposite" option in my device section, and
that helps a really tiny little bit, but obviously I'm still
complaining :)

I suppose this means I support the recommendation that people with chips
like mine hold off on updating to 2.2.0, which may very be better 'under
the hood' than 2.1.1, but from an end user's point of view, it really
only means a huge performance hit.

As for the stability side of things, I must admit it's been rock solid,
other than the very occasional lockup when hibernating. I don't use XV
though - this is a work PC.

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer