intel driver for 945GM multihead question

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Thu Dec 13 11:18:33 PST 2007

On Thursday, December 13, 2007 5:20 Dan Naughton wrote:
> I can seem to find any documentation on this.  I've tried the
> dualhead snippet on the intel website, but I keep getting TDMS-1 and
> TMDS-2 connecting to pipe A and the two displays cloned. The xrandr
> utility wouldn't work with the Xinerama on in the xorg.conf, but when
> I shut it off in the conf file, the xrandr utility doesn't seem to do
> much other than make the two displays flicker when you hit enter.  My
> hardware spec says the output of the 945GM looks like this:
>      ___________
>
>      |  945GM  |
>      |_________|
>
>   ____| | | | |___________
>
>   |    _| | |___          |
>
>  TV  VGA LVDS TDMS-1   TDMS-2
>              (SDVO1?) (SDVO2?)
>
> The VGA works fine during bootup and for the console.  I'm pretty
> sure I need to assign TDMS-1 to Pipe A and TDMS-2 to Pipe B, but I
> can't find anything in the documentation that seems to work.  For
> example: *Option "MonitorLayout" "**anystr**"*Valid monitors are CRT,
> LFP, DFP, TV, CRT2, LFP2, DFP2, TV2 does nothing:(  The  log file
> always shows the following?
>
> (II) intel(0): Output configuration:
> (II) intel(0):   Pipe A is on
> (II) intel(0):   Display plane A is now enabled and connected to pipe
> A. (II) intel(0):   Pipe B is off
> (II) intel(0):   Display plane B is now disabled and connected to
> pipe B. (II) intel(0):   Output TMDS-1 is connected to pipe A
> (II) intel(0):   Output TMDS-2 is connected to pipe A
> (II) intel(0):   Output TV is connected to pipe none

The MonitorLayout option isn't available in recent drivers.  If you
followed the instructions at
http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/dualhead.html I'm not sure how you
ended up using that option...

How are you trying to configure your system?  The Intel chip only has
two pipes, so if you want to use three outputs, you'll need to clone
two of them (i.e. you can't have an extended desktop across VGA, TMDS-1
and TMDS-2), maybe that's your problem?  Since the VGA output has a
lower quality than the TMDS (probably DVI) outputs, you should probably
clone it and have the TMDS outputs span your desktop.

Jesse