Adding xinput to apps

Paulo Cesar Pereira de Andrade pcpa at mandriva.com.br
Wed Dec 19 07:59:58 PST 2007

Peter Hutterer wrote:
>> As I said, I have pretty much nil knowledge about XInput, but from
>> a quick view of the source, it may be a good idea to have it available,
>> unless it is choosen to do something like you said, and remove the
>> modules broken in branch 1.4, but again, after some "overview" on the
>> code of some input modules, this doesn't look like a wise idea as it
>> looks
>> like code that used to work for several years, so maybe there is some
>> magic that can be done to make 1.4 work as 1.3, or earlier regarding to
>> extended input devices, i.e. some kind of compat mode.
>
> less commas and more periods please. I'm not sure if I understood this
> sentence ;)

  I think I did not understand that sentence myself :-). Anyways, while I am
actually in favor of having people updating the system and having freedom
for developers experimenting, I believe some special precautions should be
made before breaking this kind of code.
  Anyway, probably nobody would care we Xorg dropped more than half of the
video drivers in the git repository, (that are supposed to work, but I have
my doubts...) as well as most of the *fb* modules.

> the xinput tool does not have anything to do with the input modules.
> It is basically just a runtime configuration tool.
>
> btw. "used to work" is not the same as "nobody complained" :)

  Yes :-), but I think it used to work in some timeframe. But I cannot guess
since when it is broken, I only know that now it doesn't even load.

> Cheers,
>   Peter

Paulo