VGA arbiter: removing RAC

Tiago Vignatti vignatti at c3sl.ufpr.br
Wed Dec 19 16:43:58 PST 2007

Joerg Sonnenberger escreveu:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 08:45:53PM -0200, Tiago Vignatti wrote:
>> The Resource Access Control inside Xorg is the guy responsible to take
>> care of the various resources of memory and to share them in a wise
>> manner when two or more graphics devices are active (think multi-head).
>> As an alternative from RAC we can rely on VGA arbiter.
>
> How much work is the kernel part of the arbiter? You know, the Xserver
> is not only used on Linux :-)

git-clone http://www.inf.ufpr.br/ribas/repos/vga-module.git

for more info about the code, please see
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2007-November/030420.html

And yes, unfortunately we will need to keep the RAC module together with
the VGA arbiter inside Xorg for some time due the portability of Xorg.
Probably let autoconf set if Xorg needs RAC or the arbiter depending the
OS would be fine and easy to do.

Cheers,

--
Tiago Vignatti
C3SL - Centro de Computação Científica e Software Livre