xorg.conf - setting a specific resolution for monitor gets ignored (945GM)

Dan Naughton daniel.naughton at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 19:26:00 PST 2007

I think I found the answer to why the resolution settings in xorg.conf
were getting ignored - they were getting changed by the desktop.  I'm
not sure where all the changing happens, but the fedora gnome desktop
System=>Preferences=>Hardware=>Screen Resolution writes a file under
~/.gconfd/screen  (I forget the exact name - I deleted it).  Anyway,
that resolution setting is used to change the resolution from what it
was set for in the xorg.conf.  That was a nasty thing to chase down.

I guess that's fine until you pick one that puts you over the 2048
limit in DRI and breaks it with no warning.  "Warning, this screen
resolution will break your graphics acceleration and you games will
run dog slow - click Okay to proceed".  Also, the Power Management
section has a timer set to shut off the monitor.  When it shuts off,
it never comes back.  You need to Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill it and
restart it.

Anyway - I got the dual head working with dri at 1024x768 resolution
per monitor.  Looks nice.
  Final xorg.conf attached