CMake (was More about x-packages)

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Fri Dec 21 12:09:40 PST 2007

On Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 10:29:26AM -0800, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> On 2007-12-21 03:17-0200 pcpa at mandriva.com.br wrote:
> > I am not sure if people would want to switch to cmake at this point.
>
> I can assure you that at first most will not.  :-) Developers tend to be
> scared of changes to the build system for their software.  But worrying
> about that is premature. What you first need is a proof of concept.

Personally (as the person who was the only one running a modular Xorg
server for quite a while), I'm not scared -- I just fail to see any
benefit.  Can someone please explain it to me, beyond the libtool thing?
I mean, if we're going to expend that much effort just to avoid libtool,
we could instead fix it once and for all upstream.

What am I missing?

Cheers,
Daniel