[xorg] Re: CMake (was More about x-packages)

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Sun Dec 23 00:54:05 PST 2007

On Sat, Dec 22, 2007 at 04:02:06PM -0800, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> On 2007-12-22 21:02-0000 Daniel Stone wrote:
>> Yes, real libraries are good, but they won't work for the X case due to
>> design that assumes everything's linked into the same final object, and
>> also due to the fact that they're, well, not real libraries.  We don't
>> make API guarantees for internals.
>
> I would appreciate your comments on the following idea, but please be gentle
> if I have wandered beyond my depth.  :-)
>
> The idea is to directly replace a convenience library (a collection of
> compiled objects according to
> http://sourceware.org/autobook/autobook/autobook_92.html) by a real static
> library which is private to X.  Of course, assuming the SO modules will need
> to be linked to that static library, the static library has to be compiled
> with the same compile flags (e.g., -fPIC) used to create the SO modules.
> Then I understand that the linking of the SO module with the static library
> proceeds by copying the required code from the static library and placing it
> in the SO with no necessity of installing the static library or letting its
> internals be exposed.  There may be some additional linking options required
> to keep the API of the copied static library code within the SO private. But
> if my overall mental model of the linking issues is correct, then the above
> idea should work. Furthermore, implementing it with CMake would be
> straightforward so that lack of convenience library support would no longer
> be a CMake deal breaker for X.

Which .so modules? I'm talking about the convenience libraries within
the X server at the moment, which all get linked into the final
Xorg/Xephyr/etc binaries (handwaving past the loadable module case).
And again, maybe I'm missing something, but it does look vastly like
we're missing the point, and reinventing convenience libraries in a
pretty stunningly roundabout fashion.

Cheers,
Daniel