CMake

olafBuddenhagen at gmx.net olafBuddenhagen at gmx.net
Tue Dec 25 11:32:35 PST 2007

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 02:06:05PM -0800, Russell Sears wrote:

> 3) The recommended cmake configuration keeps all the autogenerated
> makefiles / binary objects, etc out of the source directories.  On large
> projects, this is particularly nice if you have the foresight to have a
> build-opt/ and build-dbg/ directory.  Then you don't need to do "make
> clean" (or mess with patches) to switch between optimized and debug
> builds.  (I would be surprised if there is no way to get
> automake/autoconf to do this too...)

Autotools don't have a "recommended" configuration here, because that's
up to the user to decide. A good tool should not prescribe the user how
to work. (That's what also makes git a superior tool, for example.)

Unless the build system is seriouly broken, autotooled applications
support both modes equally well.

-antrik-