GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap working on GeForce 8800 but not on i965

Mirco Müller macslow at bangang.de
Wed Dec 26 00:37:33 PST 2007

Greetings everybody!

	While trying to get gtk-gl-offscreen-1 working on something different
than a GeForce 8800 driven by nvidia's proprietary driver I ran into
problems on the i965 (using the driver that comes with Ubuntu 7.10).

	Initially I did not assume having any problems with this as I have
compiz, which is using GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, running successfully
on both systems (stock Ubuntu 7.10, nothing from Xorg git installed).

	In order to understand the involved parts better I wrote a pure X11/GLX
program (see attached tarball and screenshot).

	This program works on the nvidia-system but not on the intel one. But
on the nvidia-system it only works correctly and allows resizing when
run under metacity. Under compiz I get a white window. As soon as I try
to resize the window, while running under compiz, I get a BadAlloc-error
("insufficient resources for operation") for glXCreatePixmap() and the
program exits.

	Another odd observations is the value I get back from
glXGetFBConfigAttrib() when querying for the attribute
GLX_BIND_TO_TEXTURE_TARGETS_EXT. What I get back is 0x000020DF (oddly
enough this is also the value of GLX_FRONT_RIGHT_EXT defined in
GL/glxext.h). Although I would expect any bit-wise combination of...

	#define GLX_TEXTURE_1D_BIT_EXT        0x00000001
	#define GLX_TEXTURE_2D_BIT_EXT        0x00000002
	#define GLX_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_BIT_EXT 0x00000004

	On the intel-system I just get 0x00000000 for every FBconfig I tried,
which is also a bit strange as it would mean that no texture-target is
supported for GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap.

	To add to my confusion is the fact that glXGetFBConfigAttrib() is meant
to be supported only if GLX 1.3 or better is available. But on the i965
only GLX 1.2 is reported, but all the GLXFBConfig-related calls work.

Any help on this issue is much appreciated!

Best regards...

Mirco "MacSlow" Müller