Problems with evdev driver for keyboard

Dmitry Dzhus mail at sphinx.net.ru
Wed Dec 26 03:58:36 PST 2007

Dmitry Dzhus <mail at sphinx.net.ru> writes:

> I've updated my evdev to 1.2 version. The configuration broke as evdev'd
> advanced device matching (using vendor or product name fields) support
> was deleted [1] (I don't know why, that was such a cool feature) so I
> had to switch to dirty config using plain `"Device"` option:

I guess I've definitely missed some really serious stuff introduced in
xorg 1.4 and evdev 1.2. Seems like now HAL should be used to configure
my keyboard, and it looks like a way more flexible solution than
globbing features which used to be built in the evdev driver. It's a
pity `evdev(4x)` documentation is way behind the actual code.

I also wonder if HAL dependency will affect the portability of X server
(and the whole X infrastructure).

--
Happy Hacking.

http://sphinx.net.ru