What to blame for ATI lockups after upgrade ?

Frédéric L. W. Meunier lists2006 at pervalidus.net
Fri Dec 28 14:00:45 PST 2007

I used XOrg 1.4 with ATI driver 6.7.196 without any problems
for a month. I upgraded to XOrg 1.4.0.90 on december 13 and to
ATI 6.7.197 on the 21.

On the 22, suddenly, while moving the mouse cursor, nothing
worked anymore. I could move the mouse, but it was like an "I"
and didn't do anything. The screen was apparently locked, as
the clock didn't get updated.

After some time and no results, I decided to do a forced
reboot. Then, I had the idea to use joyd, a mouse daemon that
send commands.

Today, I had the same problem while moving the mouse.

One of the joyd commands was "/bin/killall -9 X", but the mouse
also locked up when it was issued.

The other, "/sbin/reboot", worked, and apparently did a clean
shutdown, because after a reboot there were no fsck messages
about "recovery required".

In all above versions, I used the same DRI from Mesa 7.0.2. I
have a Radeon 9600.

Xorg.0.log prints lots of these when it occurs:

tossed event which came in late
mieqEnequeue: out-of-order valuator event; dropping.