XKB Geometry documentation

Tim Ri tim-ri at wanadoo.fr
Sat Feb 3 02:14:57 PST 2007

Hi all,

This week I started writing a small parser for geometry files. I was wondering
if someone could point me to some documentation/specifications for the
grammar used in these files.

The most useful links I found (http://www.xfree86.org/current/XKBlib.pdf and
http://www.charvolant.org/~doug/xkb/index.html) are unfortunately not
sufficiently up-to date. Some oddities from the geometry files in my distro
(Debian and Ubuntu):

* Use of new attributes in text doodads (e.g. setWidth).
* Use of cornerRadius attribute for a solid (maybe this is allowed, but I
cannot find that explicitly in the spec).
* Use of fractional numbers for gaps, coordinates etc. (perhaps this has to do
with the "1mm = 0,1 mm" strangeness noted by Doug Palmer).
* Use of numerical expressions (e.g. 10 + 12) for attribute values.

At the moment I have a working parser, that is, I fiddled with it long enough
that it is now capable to recognize all my distro's geometry files as valid,
but I would _love_ to see some official/officious specification to back it
up.

Thanks for your time,

Tim