kdrive & amd64 & r300 question

Daniel Kasak dan at entropy.homelinux.org
Sat Feb 3 03:07:47 PST 2007

Hi all.

<background>
I've been playing around with EXA on my r300 ( built X from git master,
just after the exa-damagetrack merge ). It's promising, but at the
moment still pushes my CPU usage through the roof ( though at least it's
usable ). Unfortunately when my CPU usage goes to 100%, my laptop gets
very hot, and I have to remove it from my lap and the fan gets very
noisy, etc. It's a hard life ...
</background>

So I'd like to try out kdrive, which I've heard a bit about, but never
used. Does it support r300 chips? I just tried to build it ( using a
Gentoo ebuild, with the 'kdrive' USE flag ), and got:

 * Removing unused kdrive drivers ...
 *   chips
[ ok ]
 *   epson
[ ok ]
 *   fbdev
[ ok ]
 *   pm2
[ ok ]
 *   i810
[ ok ]
 *   mach64
[ ok ]
 *   mga
[ ok ]
 *   neomagic
[ ok ]
 *   nvidia
[ ok ]
 *   r128
[ ok ]
 *   ati does not work on your architecture; disabling.
 *   ati
[ ok ]
 *   smi
[ ok ]
 *   sis300
[ ok ]
 *   vesa
[ ok ]
 *   via ...

[ ok ]

That bit about 'ati does not work on your architecture; disabling.'
doesn't sound so good. I'm on AMD64. I'm out of luck, right?

Dan