Is any work being done on redirection of requests

Dan Oscarsson Dan.Oscarsson at tietoenator.com
Sun Feb 4 05:44:58 PST 2007

I have for a long time looked at window managers and why some user
interaction does not work well. Some annoying things are bad keyboard
focus handling and override-redirect windows.

The document: Why X Is Not Our Ideal Window System
does take up many of the problems I see and give recommendations on how
to fix them. Is any work being done on fixing this?
Especially synchronous redirection and making SetInputFocus redirectable
world be very good.

The window manager must be able to fully manage the windows. This means
that many more requests must be redirectable and it must be possible to
redirect even "override-redirect" windows.

Probably much of the redirect work could be added to the X Window
protocol in a backward compatible manner.

I would very much like to hear your thought about the recommendations in
the "Why X Is Not Our Ideal Window System" (easy found through Google)
and if somebody is working on adding them.

Today my two most annoying things in user interaction under X Window
System is keyboard focus stealing and not being able to block/move/get
rid of som of the override-redirect windows may programs through up in
the way.

   Dan