Intel graphics driver -- thanks!

Daniel Waineo danwaineo at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 7 16:54:35 PST 2007

--- Andrew Barr <andrew.james.barr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 01:04 +0100, Ed Schofield
> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'd like to extend a "thank you" to the developers
> of the Intel
> > driver, particularly the modesetting branch.
> >
> > I recently bought a new G965 motherboard for its
> open-source drivers.
> > I was initially disappointed at the lack of
> support for my screen's
> > native 1680 x 1050 resolution, but this now works
> using a recent git
> > version of the modesetting branch. Thanks for the
> great work!
>
> All of you lurkers out there --
>
> It would be nice to see more e-mails like this one
> to let Intel know
> they are actually making sales based on the free
> drivers that they are
> developing. It provides encouragement to those doing
> the work and may
> help influence future decisions regarding the
> freeness of code for other
> Intel products.
>
> I buy products with Intel components whenever I can
> precisely because of
> this. I have had wireless access on my Linux-based
> Thinkpad that I don't
> even have to think twice about for about one year
> now. How often does
> _that_ happen in Linux?
>
> > -- Ed
> --
> Andrew Barr
>
> "My life is an open book, but I'm not going to read
> it to you."
>         -- David Hyde Pierce

I don't want to add unnecessary noise, but since you
asked..

I've been a lurker on this list for this very reason.
I am monitor the progress of the drivers for the G965
motherboard.  I'm planning on buying it soon both
because of its features and the open-source drivers.
Thanks for everyone's hard work, and thanks to Intel
for providing open drivers!

Sincerely,
Dan Waineo