Intel graphics driver -- thanks!

Alan Chandler alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
Wed Feb 7 23:45:00 PST 2007

On Thursday 08 February 2007 00:46, Andrew Barr wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 01:04 +0100, Ed Schofield wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'd like to extend a "thank you" to the developers of the Intel
> > driver, particularly the modesetting branch.
> >
> > I recently bought a new G965 motherboard for its open-source
> > drivers. I was initially disappointed at the lack of support for my
> > screen's native 1680 x 1050 resolution, but this now works using a
> > recent git version of the modesetting branch. Thanks for the great
> > work!
>
> All of you lurkers out there --
>
> It would be nice to see more e-mails like this one to let Intel know
> they are actually making sales based on the free drivers that they
> are developing. It provides encouragement to those doing the work and
> may help influence future decisions regarding the freeness of code
> for other Intel products.
>
> I buy products with Intel components whenever I can precisely because
> of this. I have had wireless access on my Linux-based Thinkpad that I
> don't even have to think twice about for about one year now. How
> often does _that_ happen in Linux?

Well I am one of those lurkers, and when last October I decided to
update by personal computer setup I chose an Intel Motherboard
(DG965SS) precisely (and almost soley) because of the open source
nature of the graphics drivers.

I have no illusions that it would work well immediately - and its been a
stuggle with me needing to compile my own kernel rather than use the
Debian Unstable one to get a late enough release to get AGP recognised
Using Debian Unstable Xorg (without attempting to compile anything
extra) I have had to make several trips to this list for advice, and I
still do not really have a working 3D setup and switching to and from
console mode (ctrl-alt f1 and the like) is flakey.  But I have faith
that over the next few months it will all come together.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk