G965 initialization/VT switching issues

Andrew J. Barr andrew.james.barr at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 19:08:18 PST 2007

I do not restart X often on my desktop PC, so this has not been a huge
issue. However, anything except a hard restart of X (e.g. logging out
without reloading GDM, or using GNOME's fast user switching) that
switches VTs sends my G965 adapter into a blinking mess. The screen
turns white, with the brightness varying rapidly up and down. I have a
standard 19" CRT connected to the VGA-Out port (Intel DG965RY Desktop
Board), with a 1280x1024 resolution, so there has been no need for the
modesetting driver here. This has been happening ever since I've had
this machine. I would like to be able to use fast user switching now, so
it's become an issue. The i810 driver is the latest upstream release,
1.7.4. This is X.Org 7.1 from the Debian repostiories, and self-built
Mesa 6.5.1 packages to allow Compiz to work (64-bit and i965 fixes
swiped from Fedora Core 6). This issue has been manifesting itself since
before I was able to use Compiz on this machine, so it's not related to
Composite or AIGLX.

Oh yes, and FWIW this fellow seems to be having a similar problem:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.freedesktop.xorg/14935

Regards,
Andrew Barr