945GM + Xrandr 1.2 + modesetting: color corruption on LVDS

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Feb 12 20:13:51 PST 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 15:59 +0100, HENRY David wrote:

> I have a color corruption on my LVDS panel when I run xrandr. The
> screens looks like if color depth were at 8 bits (I'm running at 24
> bits). If I switch to another screen mode and come back to my "normal"
> desktop (like a VT switch, or running Quake 3 fullscreen and exiting,
> etc.), the problem disappears. As soon as I run xrandr (even just for a
> query), the colors are degraded again.

There are several subtle timing-related issues in setting modes on the
LVDS output. We've tested the current code on many displays and have
gotten it working well after some tweaking (and, after constant
reference to the specifications). I don't know what version of the
driver you're running, but newer is generally better, so please try
building the current version from the modesetting branch rather than
relying on pre-built drivers at this point; we haven't made any formal
releases, so you're just getting Daniel's 'best guess' as to which
version to ship.

And, if you do have problems with the latest code, please include as
much information about the machine you're using as possible. We may be
able to get access to a matching machine and debug the problem directly.

keith.packard at intel.com