RandR future proposals

Andy Ritger aritger at nvidia.com
Fri Feb 16 13:14:02 PST 2007

Thanks for raising these points, Keith.

wrt the pan-and-scan thing, yes, it's straightforward to implement
(though there are a few behavioral questions to debate).  The "panning
domain" TwinView stuff in the NVIDIA driver isn't widely used, but I
have received feedback from power users that appreciate it.  I think
it's most commonly used when you have dissimilar sized CRTC rectangles,
and you want to pan the smaller one to access otherwise dead regions.

For interfacing RandR with Xinerama-classic, a 'GPU' object would be
a good thing to expose.  However the layer between the CRTC and the X
screen may be better served as a "framebuffer" or "physical X screen".
Some of the drivers today support having multiple X screens on one GPU;
while this is often less efficient than TwinView/MergedFB, it does serve
several purposes:

     - you can advertise different capabilities on each X screen (e.g.,
       stereo, overlays, etc)

     - you can overcome hardware size limitations that you run into with
       TwinView/MergedFB (e.g., 2 2560x1600 30" panels side-by-side exceed
       4k pixels; if your hardware cannot render to larger than 4k buffers,
       then users can instead configure two separate X screens, one to
       drive each of the 30" panels) and optionally enable Xinerama-classic
       over that

     - if you don't want the outputs driven by a GPU to be physically
       contiguous within your larger virtual Xinerama-classic X screen;
       e.g., a common 3-headed powerwall config is something like this:

         +--------+--------+--------+
         | a)     | b)     | c)     |
         |        |        |        |
         |        |        |        |
         +--------+--------+--------+

       where b) is expected to be where most of the interesting rendering
       happens and has one dedicated GPU, while a) and c) are driven by
       a second GPU.  You'd want a) and c) to have separate buffers,
       even if they're driven by the same GPU.

So I think it would be useful for RandR to have a notion of what "buffer"
each CRTC is scanning from, but that should probably be distinct from
the notion of a GPU, though a buffer could belong to a GPU.  If there
were multiple buffers on the GPU, maybe you should even be able to swap
which buffer (on the same GPU) a CRTC is reading from.

After the RandR 1.2 work wraps up, I would be happy to take a stab at
(or atleast help with) the spec language for some of this stuff.

- Andy