Intel graphics driver -- thanks!

Ian Grant Ian.Grant at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 19 03:57:59 PST 2007

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 01:04:18 +0100
"Ed Schofield" <edschofield at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like to extend a "thank you" to the developers of the Intel
> driver, particularly the modesetting branch.

After seeking advice on this list as to the best open-source supported
video hardware we have been buying Intel DQ965 boards with integrated
graphics controllers. We have bought 50 or so machines so far.

Support from distributed Linux is poor though. Drivers shipped with the
latest Fedora and SUSE have a bug that affects 1600x1200 displays and
means we have to drive displays using analog. And if we use the i810
driver we lose text-mode consoles due to another bug, so we have to run
displays with the vesafb driver.

I would be interested to try the modesetting branch of the i810 driver
to see of these problems are fixed but I cannot find any information on
how to build it. Can anyone point me to instructions on how to take a
standard RPM-based distribution and build and run the modesetting code?
Preferably without disturbing the distribution's installed xorg release.

Another question: if they are fixed in the modesetting branch, when is
this likely to filter through the distributors chain? We manage some 400
linux machines on this on this site and we rely on being able to use
standard distributions with distributors update/fix channels to secure
systems.

Ian