Xorg - exited on signal 6 (core dumped)

Atom Smasher atom at smasher.org
Sat Feb 24 13:50:49 PST 2007

FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE
xorg-server-6.9.0_6
xorg-clients-6.9.0_3
nvidia-driver-1.0.9746

these are the latest ports for freeBSD.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

# egrep -v ^# /etc/xdm/Xservers

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg :0 -nolisten tcp vt9
:1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg :1 -nolisten tcp vt10

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

the session that i'm *not* currently logged into regularly dies like this:
   Feb 24 08:46:14 willy kernel: pid 601 (Xorg), uid 0: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)
   Feb 24 16:13:50 willy kernel: pid 586 (Xorg), uid 0: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)

most (all?) of the time when one session (that i'm not currently using)
crashes, the other session (that i am using) will immediately look weird,
sort of like pixelated reverse video. i can then <CTRL><ALT><Fx> to the
other virtual terminal, see xdm's login, then <CTRL><ALT><Fy> back to the
session that i'm currently using and everything looks fine.

i recompiled xorg-server-6.9.0_6 "WITH_DEBUG", but gdb still gives me a
bunch of gibberish when i try to analyze Xorg.core.

/var/log/Xorg.*.log gives me no useful information.

~/.xsession-errors only tells me that the connection to the server was
lost...

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

X connection to :1.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
X connection to :1.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
The application 'gnome-settings-daemon' lost its connection to the display :1.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed the application.
The application '<unknown>' lost its connection to the display :1.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed the application.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

any suggestions? any other config files or settings of interest?

thanks...

--
         ...atom

  http://atom.smasher.org/
  762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

 	"Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
 	 You might dodge successfully for a while, even for years, but
 	 sooner or later they were bound to get you."
 		-- George Orwell, "1984"