nv question...

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Feb 27 23:23:25 PST 2007

On Wednesday 28 February 2007, Louai Al-Khanji wrote:
>On Wednesday 28 February 2007 07:24, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> I'm about to install an nvidia gfx card, a Jaton 3DForce 6200-256,
>> which I was assured would use the nv driver until I could get a
>> working nvidia driver built and installed.  This to replace an ati
>> card, which after 3 years of waiting for ati to throw some code over
>> the fence for it, I find they'd simply disco'd support for it even in
>> winderz.
>>
>> So I go looking for the nv driver and cannot find it in a 'make
>> xconfig', or even in the distro kernels modules trees, fedora core 6
>> in this case.
>>
>> So where did it go, or have I wasted my money yet again on empty
>> promises?
>
>Hi,
>the nv driver is a 2d-only display driver. It is not provided by the
> kernel; rather it is a driver that the X server loads. To use it, you
> need to adjust your X config file (usually /etc/X11/xorg.conf)
> appropriately.

Thanks.  I knew it was 2d, or was when I last had an nvidia card, but
since I build my own kernels, ISTR I was building the nv driver as part
of the kernel tree, back at about the time RH switched from XFree86 to
the Xorg version over licensing squabbles.

Now, someone mentioned that the dkms utility would build the nvidia driver
fresh, for the kernel that was being booted if it hadn't already been
built for the current kernel.  Is this true?  I have it installed but no
idea if its properly configured to do that.

In the instant case, this would be 2.6.20-ck1, but could be 2.6.21-rc2 by
the time I stuff this card into the slot the ati is occupying now, later
tomorrow I think.  I've just rebuilt this kernel with everything nvidia I
could spot as modules, so hopefully the transition will be relatively
painless.  Hopefully as simple as replacing the card, booting to runlevel
3 which I do anyway, and running system-config-display.  But, I'm a
personal friend (or enemy depending on ones point of view) of that Murphy
that wrote all those laws, so who knows.

Thanks again.