i810 modesetting on xorg 7.1 fun

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Jan 1 11:54:27 PST 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-01 at 15:48 +0000, Ross Burton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I previously said, I'm slowly building the modesetting/randr1.2 stack
> from git.  I've got the new Xrandr installed, and just installed
> i810/modesettings built against Xorg 7.1 (stock Ubuntu Edgy).
>
> Then something very odd happened.
>
> When gdm starts I have a scrollable desktop, which appears to be
> 2048x768 with a 1024x768 viewport (my LCD's resolution).

Yeah, others have reported this as well. The old RandR code should fix
this, but it clearly isn't. As you might imagine, I haven't tried this
myself although I want it to work.

> When I login to GNOME, I get the correct 1024x768 but xdpyinfo is
> confused:

Right, gnome randrs the screen at login time, which is what fixes the
reported size.

> screen #0:
>   dimensions:    1024x768 pixels (694x260 millimeters)
>   resolution:    37x75 dots per inch

Oh, so the old RandR code doesn't change the physical size. That's
broken.

> Should the modesettings driver work correctly with xorg 7.1 although
> with none of the xrandr magic?  Or is this a known-broken configuration
> and I should just carry on and build a new xserver from git?

The modesetting driver is supposed to work with 7.1 (and 7.2), but
no-one has spent time fixing these problems. Help would be greatly
appreciated...

keith.packard at intel.com