set root/default visual ID

Jacob Lambrecht omegaxavier at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 4 13:05:20 PST 2007

I have an ATI Rage 128 Pro and I am trying to set the root visual ID to be double duffered (0x27). The default right now is 0x23. How can I force the root window to use 0x27?

In the man page for xorg.conf I found the "Visual" option that I can put in the display section. However it seems to only support "TrueColor" or "DirectColor" and I am unable to specify an exact visual ID (I tried "0x27").

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jacob