i810 modesetting and external VGA, not working

Ross Burton ross at burtonini.com
Mon Jan 8 13:33:37 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 10:05 -0800, Keith Packard wrote:
> > I'm now left with the problem that either my monitor isn't sending EDID
> > down VGA,
>
> I have a 1280x1024 TFT monitor that doesn't report EDID over VGA either.
> I haven't debugged this to see if our DDC code continues to fail for
> some monitors; we have had quite a few problems with it though, so it
> could still be broken.

I enabled DEBUG in the EDID code, and now I get:

(II) I810(0): I2C device "CRTDDC_A:ddc2" registered at address 0xA0.
Error reading EDID block
Error reading EDID block
Error reading EDID block
Error reading EDID block
(II) I810(0): I2C device "CRTDDC_A:ddc2" removed.
No EDID block returned

Obviously the code somewhat works as I'm getting EDID data from the
LVDS, and EDID data is being send as otherwise there wouldn't be read
errors.

I tried using get-edid|parse-edid to have a second take on this, but it
only shows the EDID from the LVDS and doesn't appear to be probing more
than one display.  Is there any other way of debugging this?

Ross
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross at burtonini.com
                                          jabber: ross at burtonini.com
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./