Error during autogen.sh for xserver

R.L. Horn lists at eastcheap.org
Wed Jan 10 12:00:37 PST 2007

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Harmuth, Florian wrote:

>>> autoreconf: running: /usr/local/bin/autoconf
>>> configure.ac:81: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_DEFINE
>>>         If this token and others are legitimate, please use
>>> m4_pattern_allow.
>>>         See the Autoconf documentation.
>>> configure.ac:507: error: possibly undefined macro:
>>> XTRANS_CONNECTION_FLAGS
>>> autoreconf: /usr/local/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1

You almost certainly have a broken autotools installation (AC_DEFINE
should _never_ be unavailable).  Is it possible that the packages have
been moved from the location specified at configure-time?

For example, were autoconf, automake, et. al.  configured with something
like:

   ./configure --prefix=[some temporary location]

installed, and then moved to /usr/local?  Redefining "prefix" at install
time to accomplish the same thing might also be a no-no (and should never
be necessary since GNU packages are supposed to always honor DESTDIR).

The output from "grep autom4te_perllibdir /usr/local/bin/autom4te" would
be informative.

Additionally, it appears that aclocal isn't finding the X autoconf macros.
Make sure that the "-I" option passed to aclocal in the "ACLOCAL"
environment variable (you did set the ACLOCAL environment variable,
right?) is pointing to the right place ([ProjectRoot]/share/aclocal).