nv problems on FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE for AMD64

Chris Radlinski radlinskic at acm.org
Thu Jan 11 07:45:52 PST 2007

I already posted this on the FreeBSD xorg mailing list and they sent me
here.

Here's my rig:

Athlon 4600+ x2
4 GB DDR400
Biostar K8T890-A9 motherboard
Biostar V6202EL16 GeForce 6200 LE PCIE card

I installed FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE 64-bit with Xorg 7.2 RC3 running Gnome.
If I load the nv driver, things run OK for a while but inevitably freeze
up. My mouse still works but the rest of the desktop is unresponsive. I
can ssh from another machine and see that Xorg is eating up 100% of one
of my cores. I'm having exactly the same problem that this guy
(http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2006-March/013478.html)
reported in March. I don't have this problem with the vesa driver.

The last time this happened, I connected to Xorg with gdb and got this
stack trace:

(gdb) bt
#0  0x0000000801d37134 in NVSync ()
   from /usr/X11R6/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nv_drv.so
#1  0x00000008035f3008 in XAAGlyphs ()
   from /usr/X11R6/lib/xorg/modules//libxaa.so
#2  0x0000000000506fdf in DamageExtensionInit ()
#3  0x00000000004fd1df in RenderExtensionInit ()
#4  0x0000000000445e3d in Dispatch ()
#5  0x000000000042eae5 in main ()

What else can I do to help debug this problem?

Thanks.