Resolution issue with kvm switch

Tom Winterhalder t.winterhalder at freesurf.ch
Thu Jul 5 10:23:46 PDT 2007

Hi all,
I have several systems connected to a Level1 KVM switch. According
documentations this switch can handle resolutions up to 1920x1440.

Now I have connected several Linux systems to this switch with different
graphic cards (ATI and Intel). Directly connected to my monitor (HP
LP2465) I get a resolution of 1920x1200 with all the systems. As soon as
I connect the systems to the switch and restart X I only get a
resolution of 1280x1024. Without restarting X, just connecting my
systems to the switch I still have the resolution of 1920x1200.

Looking into the log files I can see, that the switch is reporting to
display resolutions of up to 1280x1024. So it is clearly a problem of
the switch not reporting correctly its capabilities. As I have no
possibility to upgrade the firmware of this switch I wonder if there is
a way to override these settings in xorg.conf.

I already tried different Modelines and Mode settings without any
success. Can anyone help me solving this issue?

Currently my xorg.conf is just a default one without any modifications.

Best regards,
Tom Winterhalder