Xorg input thread (2)

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Jul 7 11:57:07 PDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-07-07 at 08:36 -0700, Jesse Barnes wrote:

> Yeah, doing just hw cursors is definitely easiest, but don't many desktop
> cursors these days require sw cursors, either because they're the wrong size
> or have too many colors?  I forgot about acceleration though, you're right
> that would have to be in-kernel as well.

We've had 64x64 color+alpha cursors for a long time now, so we really
can rely on hardware for most of what we need to do. Synchronizing with
other drawing makes doing software cursors in the kernel fairly
challenging though; I'd suggest leaving that to the X server.

Note that DRM requires hardware cursors; we actually switch software
cursors off when DRM is running. In the distant past, when hardware
didn't have ARGB cursor support, the hardware cursor would look quite a
bit different from the software version.

keith.packard at intel.com