New Lao XKB

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Jul 12 05:08:08 PDT 2007

Le Jeu 12 juillet 2007 13:31, Anousak Souphavanh a écrit :

> I am Anousak Souphavanh, am a Lao team lead on major Open Source
> developments. I was the one that submitted Lao XKB two years ago but
> since then the government has changed keyboard layout and I would like
> to submit the new one to Xorg for mass distribution.

Just post a patch there
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=xkeyboard-config

> Also, I was wondering if Xorg is responsible for distributing free
> UNICODE OpenType fonts or not. We have created FREE Lao UNICODE font
> that can be submitted to [Xorg]. If not, please suggest as which
> organization is responsible.

If you have an active font project that regularly releases updates and
enhanced versions of the fonts it's much better to set up a dedicated
project, at http://www.openfontlibrary.org/ , sourceforge, or
freedesktop.org. xorg core mission is not font development and if you
get yourself bundled you'll always be an afterthought.

Also most distributors will probably want to know how your font
compares to  the Lao support of DejaVu, as users complain if too many
similar fonts are shipped. (if your font style is very different
that's not a problem, but if not fixing the problems you may have with
fonts already widely distributed is the preferred approach)

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot