Multimedia support (Re: X Developers' Summit)

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Jul 16 06:25:19 PDT 2007

Le Lun 16 juillet 2007 13:54, Helge Bahmann a écrit :
> Am Montag, 16. Juli 2007 13:20 schrieb Colin Guthrie:
>> This sounds interesting. Have you heard of/do you use internally
>> PulseAudio? http://pulseaudio.org/ It has good support for network
>> transparent sound and fairly reasonable support with end user
>> applications (including alsa plugin and esd compatible daemon
>> support).... It would be good to utilise a compatible interface if
>> at
>> all possible....
>
> Sounds interesting, have not seen it before (I know arts, jack, esd
> and mas
> reasonably well), but I will have a look into it. But what I am trying
> to do is fundamentally different in at least two ways:

You probably need to look hard at pulseaudio. Colin was too polite to
write it, but major Linux distributions are planning a migration to
pulseaudio. They've been burnt so deeply by previous audio system
reimplementations/duplications their reaction to yet another audio
project is likely to be overwhelmingly negative.

You know, like everyone migrated to fontconfig a few years ago and Sun
got brutaly told no one was interested when it proposed another
implementation a year later.

(Also going through xorg will remind everyone of the mas debacle.)

That's why the pulseaudio slides insist heavily on why they're not
duplicating other current parts of the audio stack.

--
Nicolas Mailhot