RandR 1.3 additions?

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Tue Jul 17 08:40:02 PDT 2007

On Jul 17, 07 09:35:38 -0400, Alex Deucher wrote:
> I see randr as more of a dynamic configuration control than
> specifically for outputs (although that's what it focuses on now).  I
> think it would sense to add this to randr than to add a new extention
> for this sort of thing.  We'll also need some concept of a GPU for
> supporting multi-card with randr and xinerama anyway.  We already have
> dri config and xv attributes and now xrandr; any true GPU config tool
> would need to deal with all of them.  They are all basically just
> attribute systems with driver callbacks.  Why add another?

I agree that we would need a more general attribute system - yet ATM I
fail to see how randr delivers that. With every new attribute type we
seem to need new code. Actually, with a general attribute system it
would have been possible to implement RandR with it, but it would've
taken much longer until that one would work.

Matthias, philosophizing

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>      __        __   __
Maxfeldstr. 5 / 90409 Nuernberg   (_   | |  (_   |__          mat at mshopf.de