SDVO/ADD2 TV out - yes or no?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Jul 18 12:14:55 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 09:44 +0100, Nicolas Will wrote:

> So, if i get the current git, I have a hope of using HDMI?

Yes, HDMI is the same as DVI from the perspective of the SDVO system.
Of course, I say that, and yet my HDMI card isn't working with my HDMI
monitor. Plugging the same monitor in to a DVI card using the DVI
connector works just fine. I'll get an HDMI/DVI converter and see
whether the card or the monitor is at fault here (the monitor appears to
work completely differently using the HDMI connector, so I can't rule it
out as the source of the trouble).

> So, is it safe to say that the i810 driver has zero support for SDVO?

Not exactly, the i810 driver relies on the BIOS for all mode setting
support, and the BIOS has SDVO support for some outputs. The big problem
is that the BIOS has only a few modes pre-programmed, and you can't
easily select other modes, although the 915resolution program can smash
the BIOS tables and get it to generate modes some of the time. However,
TV out support in the BIOS is fairly primitive; I'm not sure it will do
anything other than standard NTSC.

keith.packard at intel.com