Startup annoyance of X with Intel driver

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Jul 20 12:29:41 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 14:08 -0400, Alex Deucher wrote:

> you could edit the code :)
> You could also change the order a bit.  In the radeon randr driver for
> example, we check DDC first then fall back to load and register based
> detect mechanisms.

It does that, but for a connection without a monitor, you end up doing
load detection anyway. In any case, the real problem is that the driver
does a full save/detect/restore phase during detection, and then another
save/modeset/run phase before bringing up the server. It was easier to
make it work correctly, but could obviously be dramatically simplified
if the driver instead did save/detect/modeset/run at startup.

keith.packard at intel.com