Intel driver EDID not probing proper resolutions over HDMI

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Jul 21 09:44:24 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 21:17 -0500, Shawn Bohrer wrote:
> I currently have an Intel DG965WH motherboard with a Prolink HDMI ADD2
> card that I am trying to connect to my Westinghouse LVM-37w3 monitor.  I
> previously had this semi-working using the modesetting branch from
> around February.  The "semi-working" part is because the first time I
> would start X it would display at 1024x768 but if I restarted X once or
> twice it would switch to 1920x1080 which is what I wanted.
>
> For some reason I decided I should upgrade to the latest master branch
> and now I can't get 1920x1080 to display out of HDMI.  Though VGA
> connected to the same monitor seems to work except the edges of the
> screen are cutoff.  HDMI will only display at 1024x768 even when I tried
> forcing it by adding a Modeline to my Monitor0 section.

What I've learned recently is that the HDMI receivers in most consumer
televisions are fairly crummy and that they are only designed to operate
at standard HD resolutions (and some not even at the 1080p resolution
you're trying to use).

I managed to get my HDMI receiver to sync at 1080p once or twice, but
now no joy. Connecting the same monitor through DVI and things work just
fine. Mine reports crazy stuff for EDID over HDMI (the highest
resolution it lists is 1080i); over DVI, I get the native panel
resolution along with all of the HD modes (and the usual range of VGA
modes).

If the monitor has a DVI connection, you can get an HDMI to DVI
converter as HDMI and DVI use exactly the same signalling standard, and
the DVI receiver chips are a lot better than HDMI.

I'm hoping the next generation of HDMI receivers are a lot better.

> (II) intel(0): EDID for output TMDS-1
> (II) intel(0): Not using default mode "640x350" (vrefresh out of range)

The monitor isn't even responding to DDC over the HDMI connector, that's
not a good sign.

> (II) intel(0): Output VGA-2 connected

So your card has a TV out chip as well? I'm trying to fix this output,
but haven't made any progress yet. You may want to disable it so it
doesn't get configured at server startup time.

keith.packard at intel.com