Changing color depth on the fly ?

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmx.net
Fri Jul 27 12:45:12 PDT 2007

This was one of the original features of the randr extension. I think the main
reason to drop it at the time was that it made life complicated for toolkits
like GDK / QT. Further these days there's not really a need for depth
switching. Some drivers like the ones from ATI even only offer 24bit. In
terms of video memory and performance there's no real need for less.

Roderick Colenbrander