[R300] high Xorg process CPU usage

Andrew J. Barr andrew.james.barr at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 20:45:03 PDT 2007

I am trying out the Compiz Fusion stuff on my PowerBook G4 (RV350) and
I have the aiglx-zero-copy-tfp patches from here[0] on Mesa 6.5.2,
xorg-server 1.3, and xf86-video-ati 6.6.191. I notice that the Xorg
process has a high level of CPU utilization (higher than with metacity
or vanilla compiz), but the graphics aren't insanely choppy like they
are without aiglx-zero-copy-tfp. Is this normal? My "device" section
from xorg.conf is below.

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "ATI Technologies Inc RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10]"
        Driver          "radeon"
        Option          "UseFBDev" "false"
        Option          "AccelMethod" "exa"
        Option          "AccelDFS" "true"
        Option          "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
        Option          "FBTexPercent" "20"
        Option          "AGPMode" "4"
        Option          "AGPFastWrite" "true"
        Option          "DynamicClocks" "true"