[R300] high Xorg process CPU usage

Michel Dänzer michel at tungstengraphics.com
Mon Jul 30 01:54:01 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 23:45 -0400, Andrew J. Barr wrote:
> I am trying out the Compiz Fusion stuff on my PowerBook G4 (RV350) and
> I have the aiglx-zero-copy-tfp patches from here[0] on Mesa 6.5.2,
> xorg-server 1.3, and xf86-video-ati 6.6.191. I notice that the Xorg
> process has a high level of CPU utilization (higher than with metacity
> or vanilla compiz), but the graphics aren't insanely choppy like they
> are without aiglx-zero-copy-tfp. Is this normal?

git-bisecting compiz pointed me to this being related to the translucent
cube feature, and I discovered that
the /apps/compiz/plugins/cube/screen0/options/inactive_opacity gconf key
was set to 90. Changing it to 100 restores sanity for me. Not sure how
it came to be less than 100 in the first place, but if it can happen by
default that should probably be fixed.