RandR extension missing error

Andy Ritger aritger at nvidia.com
Sun Jun 3 17:27:07 PDT 2007

Hi Hal, below:

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007, Hal V. Engel wrote:

> On Sunday 03 June 2007 13:56, Andy Ritger wrote:

>>> As far as I know Nvidia's proprietary driver doesn't support Randr 1.2
>>> yet.
>>
>> That's correct -- the NVIDIA driver doesn't support RandR 1.2, yet
>> (hopefully soon...).  However, the NVIDIA driver should interact properly
>> with the RandR 1.1 compatibility layer in place in the X server, and the
>> display configuration page in nvidia-settings should provide comparable
>> functionality to RandR 1.2.
>>
>> I hope that helps,
>> - Andy Ritger
>
> nvidia-settings has a number of problems.  The main one of concern here is
> that when I tried to change the screen resolution it complained about randr
> not being available.  It appears that it does not have this functionality
> independent of randr.

Right, nvidia-settings uses the NV-CONTROL X extension to configure
MetaModes, and then uses RandR (1.1) to switch between the MetaModes.

If you're interested, you can find out more about that in the "Dynamic
TwinView" section of this page:

     http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-9755/README/appendix-g.html

But, yes, there seems to be something more fundamentally wrong with your
installation since no RandR extension is available at all.

>From your earlier post, I see that you're using two X screens.  Are you
also using the Xinerama extension?  RandR gets disabled in the core X
server when Xinerama is enabled.

> The other issue I have with nvidia-settings is that it
> clobbers my video card gamma tables when ever it is run making my displays,
> which were carefully calibrated using a EyeOne Display color meter, not so
> calibrated anymore.

You can use the '--no-config' commandline option to tell nvidia-settings
to not upload the currently saved settings in the .rc file.

> The main reason that I need to be able to change screen resolution is to test
> an application that I maintain to make sure that it is usable across a range
> of screen resolutions.  Having to restart the X server for each resolution
> change is not a very good way to be handling this.

Agreed.

> There is clearly something wrong on my machine that is causing randr to not
> work correctly.  As far as I can tell I have everything needed installed and
> my configuration looks to be OK and there are no error messages showing up in
> any logs.  But I don't know what to look for beyond that or how to diagnose
> the source of the problem in the absence of additional information.

If you could send me your complete X log, I could take a look.

Thanks,
- Andy