Makes me wonder if Linux will ever be ready for the common desktop, not to mention laptop

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Jun 8 01:22:23 PDT 2007

Richard Bronosky wrote:
> I just wonder if the public at large will ever be able to use Linux.

Not trying to rise to your "not a flame" ;) but if you are trying to use
bleeding edge stuff you have (in my mind) two options:

 1. You take the time to compile, test, break, fix, learn stuff and go
down the Git route and generally spend a lot of time on it.

 2. You get yourself involved in the development version of a Distro and
get to know the maintainers of the packages you are generally keen on.

Personally I fit neatly between the two! I maintain a few package for
Mandriva and find it's development version (Cooker) very good for
getting the latest bleeding edge stuff will still maintaining a
relatively stable main distro. The community is friendly and active and
you can generally get good advice on the IRC or cooker mailing lists.

I'd suggest you take that route.

Col.