Merging SM501 driver from old xfree86 into xf86-video-siliconmotion

Clemens Koller clemens.koller at anagramm.de
Fri Jun 8 10:14:36 PDT 2007

Hello, Alex!

>> Alex Deucher schrieb:
>> > modular:
>> > http://www.botchco.com/alex/xorg/smi501.tar.gz
>> > monolith:
>> > http://www.botchco.com/alex/xorg/smi501-monolith.tar.gz
>>
> I'll try and put it in git this weekend.

Yes, I am looking forward to it.

I just started hacking the driver it a bit.
The first issues came up:

- The man-page automake stuff doesn't seem to work with
the latest automake/autoconf tools. It complains with
make: *** No rule to make target `siliconmotion. at DRIVER_MAN_SUFFIX@', needed by `all-am'.  Stop.

- the driver compiles fine - also with gcc-4.2.0 :-)

- it cannot find a proper mode for my 640x480x32x60Hz panel
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
(Well... I first have to understand, how the driver parses all the modes...)

- compiling with SMI_DEBUG=1 throws me to:
ENTER   SMI_Identify(336)
Xorg: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//smi501_drv.so: undefined symbol: xf86Break1
Where are the xf86Break{1,2} coming from? Missing include?
Well... anyway, I guess I'll have to dig deeper in the code.

- The driver(s) intendation is sometimes done with tabs and sometimes with more or less 4
spaces which is really [dirty word deleted]. Well, I'll clean the file up with lindent
to get it at least consistent in the one or the other way.
(I prefer the linux kernel's  $ indent -npro -kr -i8 -ts8 -sob -l80 -ss -ncs "$@")

What's the Xorg's magic indent command line switch code?

Thanks,
Best greets,
--
Clemens Koller