Display problems

bfiver at gazeta.pl bfiver at gazeta.pl
Wed Jun 13 08:34:09 PDT 2007

Hi, I have a strange and a not so easy to explain problem with my
display. I have an application written for Solaris, which I run on
Solaris through ssh and display it on my linux box (RHEL 4.4) via
the $DISPLAY variable. The applications draws a graph (I think it's
in Motif) which can be scrolled with a mouse - but any scroll
movement destroys the display of the graph (on the side in which I
scroll to). It flickers when I'm scrolling and leaves it whole
destroyed when I stop. After that, only xrefresh helps, which
refreshes to whole screen and the graph window.

I have a Nvidia gpu, I've tried standard drivers (vesa, fbdev) and
from nvidia site aswell, with no success. On Solaris and, what's
weird, in VNC (VNC runned on Linux box, and displayed on other Linux
box) the scroll works smoothly without destroying the graph display.

I know that VNC is based on XFree86 but the same problem affects
XFree86 and Xorg when run natively. I've tried many options in
xorg.conf but with no success either.

Thanks for a any help.

Bf.