Merging DRI changes

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Fri Jun 15 16:08:26 PDT 2007

On 6/14/07, Keith Whitwell <keith at tungstengraphics.com> wrote:
> Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've finished the changes to the DRI interface that I've been talking
> > about for a while (see #5714). Ian had a look at the DRI driver side
> > of things, and ACK'ed those changes.  I've done the X server changes
> > now plus a couple of GLX module cleanups, and I think it's all ready
> > to push:
> >
> >   http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=users/krh/mesa.git;a=shortlog;h=dri2 and
> >   http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=users/krh/xserver.git;a=shortlog;h=dri2
> >
> > One thing that's still missing is Alan H's changes to how DRI/DDX maps
> > the front buffer.  While the changes above break the DRI interface,
> > they only require an X server and a Mesa update. Alans patches change
> > the device private shared between the DDX and DRI driver and thus
> > requires updating every DRI capable DDX driver in a non-compatible
> > way.
>
> Kristian,
>
> Just letting you know Alan's on holidays this week, back on Monday.

Ah, thanks.  I was talking to Dave about it in IRC and it sounds like
we can let the DDX driver add the front buffer map and let the DRI
driver set it up without breaking the shared private struct.  I've
attached three patches (on top of my dri2 work) to illustrate the
idea.  What's missing is the i810 specific setup in mesa and a
mechanism to indicate whether or not dri_util.c should map the buffer
or if the DRI driver will do that.  But that's all behind the DRI
interface, so it's not a big deal.

I'm not sure why we're doing this though.  It looks like things are
mostly working as it is, it's just not very elegant.  And if we're
about to shake things up with DRM memory manager enabled DDX and DRI
drivers, do we want to add a hack like this?

Kristian