G965 video features

Mourad De Clerck mourad at aquazul.com
Sat Jun 16 21:20:18 PDT 2007

On 17/06/07 03:36, Tony Houghton wrote:
> G965 will work for video playback in Linux. I'm not sure exactly what
> advantages it has over the 945G even in Windows, but I think it has more
> support for decoding MPEG 2 and some MPEG 4 support. Are these extra
> featuers supported in Xv or similar, or likely to be in the future?

While I don't exactly have the answer to your question, I'd like to
point to this nice table on wikipedia showing the differences between
the different intel graphic cores.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#Table_of_GMA_graphics_cores_and_chipsets

The GMA 950 (in the 945G) has fewer hardware features relating to video
acceleration compared to the GMA X3000 (in the G965). 3D-wise, the X3000
is also clearly the better chip.

Whether or not the video features are exposed in the xorg driver I don't
know, the only note I found on Xv is here:

http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/documentation.html

Hope it helps a little,

-- M