Looking for a way to remove typeface "fixed" dependency.

Todd Partridge partridge.todd at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 06:55:05 PDT 2007

Hello all.  I am hoping to remove the dependency (or possibly see if there
is a way around) of the "fixed" typeface.  I'm a designer for websites and
although it doesn't affect my webdesigns directly, a couple sites I visit
use css that specifies "Fixed" first.  This leads to bawdy looking
typefaces.  I've removed (or tried) this font but it doesn't work.  startx
will return something like, "could not find font "fixed".

It's been suggested to use corefonts, but these do interfere with the design
I try and create.  Is there a way to remove or even substitute this
dependency?