Windows and PIDs

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Jun 17 16:31:59 PDT 2007

Pat Kane wrote:

> Thank you for making that FAQ entry.
>
> I  support a mix of legacy/modern X boxes in  a
> trusted environment;, so I am interested in helping
> to "fix" this FAQ.   This is not an easy problem.
>
> I have a couple of local hacks that work but can not
> be trusted on a non-trusted  network.
>
> Do we need a new extension or can a current protocol
> message provide the cred info?

There's no way that the X server can reliably determine the PID of a
remote client; it just has to take the information at face value. It
might help if you describe the end result you're seeking rather than a
specific mechanism.

Essentially, I'm not sure what value there could be in being able to
determine the client's PID, or if that concept is even meaningful (I
know of specific cases where it definitely isn't meaningful).