DPMS working again after X updates, yet commented out in xorg.conf

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Mon Jun 18 11:29:16 PDT 2007

On Monday 18 June 2007 17:29, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > I read a while back that xorg.conf was being deprecated.

Apologies for doing a reply all, but the last 2 persons that have replied have
put me in the "To" box, and CC'd the list, and when I select reply to list on
Kmail I just get an empty "To" box.
> It is not - we're trying to remove the need to have one for many people,
> by having reasonable defaults & hardware autodetection, and for those
> who want/need one, to make it just specify the non-default settings they
> want instead of repeating all the built-in defaults, but we're not dropping
> it altogether.
>
> > There were a bunch of X updates lastnight for Debian Lenny, and now my
> > commented out "options DPMS" appears to be being ignored.
>
> I believe it's now on by default, so commenting it out just tells the X
> server to use the default setting of on.

Up until this post of mine, I could just simply comment out the line and DPMS
would be disabled. With the line left uncommented as default my Compaq P700
CRT monitor would go into standby after some 20/30 mins.

I had noticed on a recent install of FC6, that commenting out the line was
having no effect, and the monitor was still going into standby mode.

If the latest X updates are by default setting DPMS as "On", what do I need to
do to change DPMS to "Off"?  I've tried changing the option line, so that it
reads.
Option     "DPMS" "Off" , or "False", but with no change.

I've fixed the problem, as previously posted, by a script in KDE's autostart,
which runs.
xset -dpms

It's fixed this problem on Debian Lenny after these latest X updates.

> > Can anyone point me towards some new file where I can once again stop
> > DPMS from putting my monitor into standby mode after about 30mins?
>
> xorg.conf

That would be great if xorg.conf was doing what I told it to do. The rest of
the file is doing what it should, but the Option "DPMS" line is being totally
ignored now.

Just to sum up. On all my Fedora distro's (Except FC6), and on Debian Sarge,
and Etch, simply commenting out the Option "DPMS" line sets DPMS to false,
off, disabled.

Commenting out the line on FC6 has no effect, and with the X updates lastnight
for Debian Lenny (testing), the same is true. Whether the line is commented
out, uncommented, or if I add "Off", "False", or whatever to the line, it's
as if this line in /etc/X11/xorg.conf does not exist.

I'm not complaining at you folks. It may be some sort of packaging problem on
FC6, and Debian Lenny for the latest X packages. it would just be nice to
resolve the problem though.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Nigel.