Intel 965GM on Dell D630, latest git problems

Jason xorg at lakedaemon.net
Wed Jun 20 16:08:48 PDT 2007

All,

I've loaded FC6 on a Dell D630, and am trying to get the newest X.org
running on it.

My problem is that when I modprobe i915 I get the following error:

[drm:drm_fill_in_dev] *ERROR* Cannot initialize the agpgart module.
DRM: fill_in_dev failed
DRM: drm_get_dev failed.
i915: probe of 0000:00:02:0 failed with error -22

There is no /dev/agpgart (it's a pci express device, so this makes
sense?), and according to 'grep -ni AGP /boot/config-2.6.20-1.2952.fc6'
it's in the kernel:

1995:CONFIG_AGP=y
1996:CONFIG_AGP_AMD64=y
1997:CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=y
1998:CONFIG_AGP_SIS=y
1999:CONFIG_AGP_VIA=y

Which, when I run 'startx -- /tmp/modular/bin/Xorg' gives me:

(WW) intel: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:2:1) found
(II) Module already built-in
(II) Module already built-in
(II) Module already built-in
(EE) GARTInit: Unable to open /dev/agpgart (No such file or directory)
(EE) intel(0): Internal Error: maxCacheLines < 0 in
i830_allocate_2d_memory()
etc...

Which is why I'm looking at agpgart and intel-agp.  Unfortunately, FC6
deems it necessary to compile both into the kernel.  So unless I roll my
own (Why does FC6 insist on VolGroup/mkinitrd/b.s.?) I'm kinda at a loss.

I've tried setting BusID to both PCI:0:2:1 and PCI:0:2:0, to no avail.

Am I missing anything obvious?  I followed these:

http://intellinuxgraphics.org/install.html
http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide

I ended up just doing the entire ModularDevelopersGuide and adding in
the drm, mesa, pixmap, and a few other things.

And, I'm trying to get to this point:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/xorg/msg25117.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jason.

PS - take all error messages with a grain of salt, I typed them in by
hand since I don't have access to my email from the D630.  I did double
check them, but you know how that goes. ;)