Intel 2.0.0 Driver : Override device detection?

Clemens Koller clemens.koller at anagramm.de
Mon Jun 25 02:49:24 PDT 2007

Hello, Keith, Steven!

Steven Willams schrieb:
 > Aren't those 'options' driver specific (to nvidia)? I'm trying to
 > override the device presence detection with the Intel driver.

Yes, they are indeed specific, but see the documentation of your driver (man page)
or ask Google if there is the same or a similar functionality available
for the intel. (I am quite sure, it is...)

$ Xorg -verbose
gives you also more details what happens when the server starts.

Keith Packard schrieb:
> On Sun, 2007-06-24 at 13:59 +0100, Stephen Williams wrote:
>> If my system is switched on without the connected LCD TV being
>> switched on the X server fails to start. This is because the Intel
>> driver (correctly) fails to detect any connected devices.
>
> It shouldn't matter if the device is off; the server should still detect
> the presense of the monitor through the cable. Are you running it
> through some kind of switch?

This is not true for every device. It depends on the manufacturer if he
wires the +5V (or +3.3V) from the VGA Cable to the Monitor's EEPROM or
uses some internal power supply for it.
I've seen both versions on schematics around here - at least on classic
CRT type screens.

Curious of what the VESA/DDC/EDID/whatever standards tells here.... ?
I just had a quick look at the linked documents at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_display_identification_data

But didn't find an answer. Any pointers?

Best regards,
--
Clemens Koller